If you’re building a new home, or you’re renovating your attic, then you’ll need to know how to insulate the house. It’s a job many home owners don’t think about until they find their attic needs proper insulation. Not sure where to start? Don’t worry. Here’s how you can get your attic insulated properly, with the minimum of fuss.
The Importance of Proper Insulation In Your Attic
So first, why is insulating your attic so important? There’s several reasons, but mostly you need good insulation to protect your home. Insulation in Miami is a must because changes in humidity can have serious effects on your home. Over time, it can even create structural damage. Good insulation though can prevent this.
It’s also important to insulate properly, as if you have a properly insulated attic you’ll save a huge amount of money on your energy bills. a good insulation will keep your air conditioning system working more efficiently with the additional benefits of more comfort and air quality.
Call an Expert Instead of Doing it Yourself
There’s plenty of avid DIY enthusiasts who have the experience and know how to get the job done themselves but let’s face it, there’s nothing better than calling in an expert to get the job done for you.
If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, the better thing to do will be to contact a Miami insulation company. They’ll be able to come and give you a good quote, and bring in experts to insulate your attic for you. We can do this for you here at A Best Insulation, so if you feel you want an expert in, get in touch for a quote.
The ‘R’ Value
When you’re shopping for your insulating material, you’ll see that every item has an ‘R’ value. This value shows you how effective it is at stopping energy from passing through it. The higher the ‘R’ value, the better. Different areas of your house require varied types of insulation and R-values. For example, walls boast a typical R-value is R-4.1. in ceiling insulation R-30 Is quite common. Only an insulation expert will be able to recommend the most cost effective R-value for your project.
There’s different types of insulation you can buy too, depending on your needs:
- Loose or ‘blown in’ insulation: Useful for hard to reach areas, and new wall cavities
- Batts and rolls: Good for walls and floors, especially unfinished walls.
- Rigid board: Good for unfinished walls or unvented roofs.
- Spray Foam Insulation: Often considered to be the top of the line insulation solution, and does require professional installation.
Tips for Getting the Job Done
If you’re looking to get your insulation done yourself, then here’s some useful tips to make the job easier.
- Measure out what you’ll need: Before you order your insulation, measure out your attic and work out how much you’ll need. This way, you’ll have enough to get the job done in one go, and won’t come up short and need to buy more.
- Get help: If you’re using rolls of insulation, they can be heavier than you would expect. That’s why you should get help if you’re laying it, even if it’s just to lift it up into the attic.
- Safety first: Equip yourself properly before you get into the attic and start working. Use a dust mask, gloves, and protective clothing. This will help you stop breathing in dust and other possibly harmful materials.
- Cut your insulation: If you have any awkward corners in your attic, you can cut down the insulation so it will fit properly. Just make you measure the area properly, so you have enough to fill the space
- Be careful where you’re covering: Don’t cover any beams, unless you’re insulating an area of the attic that no one will walk on. That’s because invisible beams rafters can be very dangerous.
- Don’t forget the door or hatch: The door or hatch to your attic should also be insulated. Don’t forget to do this in order to make sure it’s properly insulated.
Note: Always read the manufacturer direction for safety advice and installation procedures. As always, consider calling in a professional to get the job done.
Get Help from The Experts
If you don’t want to insulate your attic yourself, then it’s well worth getting in touch with us here at A Best Insulation. We’re the experts in insulation installation Miami, so you know we’ll install the right level of insulation to keep your home comfortable and energy efficient.
We have a highly-qualified team that has been fitting insulation for years, so you’ll be hard pressed to find a company that can really deliver a service as high quality as ours. Or team will come and install your insulation, getting it done before you even know it!
If you want to save energy in your home, then we’re the people to call on. Get in touch and we’ll get your attic up to code.
With these tips, you’ll have an attic that’s properly insulated and will save you money in the process. Keep them mind as you fit that insulation.
Click here to get Know more about attic insulation service!